Tuesday, November 12, 2013

light or when light broke in is the "prompt" of today's writing assignment. Such a huge topic. It encompasses everything. Thoughts about when light broke in to my life personally, from this mornings sunlight that snuck out from around the curtains to the life changing events that were so large I thought I would not be able to contain them. From the astonishing joy of a client who has no more pain, to the intense conversations between parents when their parenting styles clash. I also wonder what exactly light is, and I hear the phrase "don't put your light under a bushel, if you do you'll lose something kind of crucial" (I think that comes from a song in the musical Godspell). This makes me wonder about darkness... So if folks who write about very dark events, or sing about sadness and suffering are living their purpose by sharing darkness, then could dark also be light? Could it be light when the dark song or word sparks a memory for someone, touches someones heart, opens their humane-ness, reminds them of whats really important, opens the flood gates of tears so that their spirit can be cleansed. Could all those dark commercials from the ASPCA that show animals suffering actually be light, because the purpose of this darkness is to allow viewers the opportunity to open their hearts and wallets so that the suffering ends. Could dark be light? Could sadness and suffering be light? Could the arch angel who left heaven to hold the energy of hell so that dark and light could both exist actually be holy? Could those who harm us so that we can learn about compassion, grace and mercy actually be light? If words that come to me when I ponder light are goodness, purity, authentic, clear sightedness, divine, bright, love, higher power, consciousness, collective, beams, ray, sun, daytime, burning candle, then can I also include words like sadness and suffering, since they are the teachers of love? I often have the experience (while among others) of symbolically opening my "super human cape" to let a sliver of light shine out from my chest, my heart, my center. The wider I open the stronger the beacon. Sometimes I go out to a shopping mall or grocery store just for the soul purpose of opening my cape... And when I do this I see a change in people's eyes. Those who seemed to be the walking dead suddenly shed the cloak of darkness. They look at me. There is a spark of recognition, and we smile to each other. In that moment there is light. In that moment there is hope. In that moment there is the beginning of so many possibilities for both of us. And in the end I conclude that light brakes in always. In the moments. In the darkness. In the daytime. In a smile. In my joy. In your joy. In life. Love, Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment