Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Clear headed new years!

Thoughts about New Years... This year I have learned a lot about "Addiction", and I learned there is still more to understand... Someone I love dearly has completed a lengthy "rehab" this year and their experience afforded me the opportunity to get really clear on what's mine and what's not. It helped me to understand that loving someone does not mean that you bail them out of problems they behaved themselves into. Loving someone with an addiction is surely one of the hardest lessons and also most freeing lessons I have had in a long time. When a loved one has an addiction (no matter what the substance or behavior is) they often times with "pull on the heart strings" of family and friends. They will want to be rescued. They will blame everyone (the whole world) for their addiction. They become not themselves. Its actually fascinating to be able to lovingly detach and witness the addiction. Its fascinating to me that ANYONE would choose this way of being in the world, but it does happen. And it takes a lot to release the need and desire for the addiction. AND it only happens when someone is ready. Not before... So, in order to support the person I love in their dance with addiction, we had an alcohol free New Years. And, it was lovely! WE laughed, we ate great food, we all worked together doing dishes, and we got to know each other a little bit more without the use of any mind altering substances... Happy Sober New Years Y'all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment