Monday, July 13, 2009

Calling Hours, What a torturous ritual

Tonight I went to calling hours for the husband of an amazing woman whom I have had the pleasure of calling friend.  They were married 51 years and as I stood in line witnessing the procession of folks paying their respects I was wondering who is this type of event for?  Surely not for the one who has lost a loved one and is left behind...  I wonder also why in America we find it necessary to do this ritual.  To have to stand up for HOURS and shake hands or hug people you may not even know, AND to be "strong" and hold it together when all you may want to do is scream and cry and sleep is just beyond me.  I went with my dear friend who lost her daughter a few years ago and she described it to me like this:  You see the people, you don't remember who was there (maybe a few but not many), its like a sea, just keeps coming and you keep wishing for it to end so you can go home crawl into bed and start the process of "living" again - even though life will never be the same...  So tonight I send love and hope to my friend who is grieving and pray that spirit is gentle with her.  Sleep well all and remember to tell everyone in your life that you love them, because you just never know when you won't be able to anymore...

No comments:

Post a Comment