Sunday, September 27, 2009

Death. dying consciously

Yesterday we had to put Sassy to sleep. She was 10 years old and had cancer throughout her body. She was ready... This was the first time that I experienced this with another person and a child. We spent the morning loving her up and saying thank you for her 10 years of service, I listened to stories of her life and then we said good bye. We took her to Groton Animal Hospital and they were fantastic. They allowed us to do ceremony, burning palasanto (sage), lighting candles, rattling and praying while she very quickly left her body. We all sat together, Jim, Sam, Sassy and I, on a blanket on the floor and began the greiving process...
All day long we cried everytime we saw something of hers. By the evening we started to feel less sadness and this morning we are feeling grateful that she didn't have to suffer any longer and that she was able to cross very peacefully... She will be missed.

1 comment:

  1. Death and loss can be so hard and yet such a time for reflection and life celebration. I am so happy you all experienced this as a family my dear Janet...I love the way you report your new life with Jim and Sam...although you have raised your own family this time is like a new birth and I can see you learning so much from this new band of male beings :-) Love to you all...again, LOVE ROCKS!!! You Rock, I rock...life is Good!

    ReplyDelete