Thursday, March 26, 2009

Three generations


I got some photos of Sara's graduation in June and one of the photos was of me, my mom, and Sara (don't we look cute...)  It got me thinking about the three generations.  How my Mother's generation was given the belief that they were to get married, have babies and take "good care" of their husbands.  My Mom told me many stories of her best friend in school (My Aunt Joan) who didn't want what everyone else wanted.  She was "brainy"... She ended up going to an all boys college - one of the first women to be accepted - and became the first woman CEO of UPS.  She is an amazing woman and I have been priveledged to call her Aunt.  Women like Aunt Joan paved the way for my generation to have more choices... Even with more choices we (and of course I am generalizing and this does not include everyone...) are venturing out into the world to make our mark and have careers, but we are also still trying to have babies and "take care" of our husbands / partners, and forgetting to take care of ... you guessed it - US!   I believe this way of being to be a collective memory that we are working hard to change through love and gentleness to ourselves (yeah!).  

Now I look at my daughter.  She is so far ahead of where either me or my mom were at her age.  She understands that its okay to ask for what she wants, and its even better to ask and gratefully receive.  I have been fortunate to be part of her life, and also the lives of her friends. She has chosen well.  She is happy.  She is "awake".  It is the only thing I every really wanted... happiness "awakeness" for her (and my Son), for me and for my mother - three generations "out in space" (tee hee).  

Can't wait (ahh, let me rephrase that - I CAN wait...) for the next generation.  They will be so "light" and "tuned in" if we the elders continue to put out the energy of love and compassion and permission to be who you are - no matter who that is!  And so, I signoff today with wonder and curiosity and hope... doing my part to pass down / hand off / give to the beings coming after me.

No comments:

Post a Comment