Monday, March 9, 2009

The Words you Speak - last a lifetime...

Yesterday as I was doing my grocery shopping I was standing behind a young woman who had two children (who were obviously tired and did NOT want to be there)...  I was trying not to eaves drop (which is of course very hard to do when standing behind someone).  But....  I did.  The Mom seemed frustrated and out of sorts.  I remembered those days when my kids were little and there was so much to do and I didn't think I could take even one minute to stop and breath or life would fall apart (ahha -  limiting belief # 999...).   As I was remembering I felt compelled to open my mouth (hummm does that really surprise anyone??!).  Out came the words - "you may want to consider taking a deep breath, it really does get better"...  Of course she gave me a look that could pierce an icy heart, but I touched her arm and took a deep breath, and I think without thinking about it her body responded and she took a deep breath too...  Her kids were looking at me like I was from another planet, but to her amazement they stopped bickering for a moment and laughed.  Genuine laughter.  The wrinkled eye brows of the Mom seemed to melt away.  She looked at her children as if they were the most beautiful creatures in the world (which is so true of all children).  Of course we carried on a little conversation and as she left the store I watched her.  She was not rushing but pushing the cart slowly and talking to her children (not yelling!).  I thought to myself, how easy it would be here on this earth if we all took a moment when we notice someone struggling and share some kindness.  Didn't cost anything, didn't even take a lot of time.  But it did take stepping out of a comfort zone which has been given to us by society which tells us to stay out of things, etc.  I hope that my one small gift of kindness to that young Mom makes a difference to her, which in turn will make a difference to her children, and so on...  Good reminder to be the light you wish to see in the world and practice loving kindness at every opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment