Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Frostbite, not recommended...

Brrrrr... today is freezing in Groton, NY.   High temperature today was 9 degrees.  After shoveling my sidewalk  I had a hard time feeling my legs, and that was only 15 minutes outside -- WITH  LONG JOHNS ON...  This got me thinking I should take a hot shower and massage my legs, BUT NO, according to the National Safety Council this is a misconception. Although massage is a welcome salve to most winter ills (backaches from shoveling, slipping on the ice, etc.) the health experts state that immediate massage can be harmful to frostbitten skin.  They recommend that you seek medical attention immediately and that you remove clothing that could restrict circulation, slightly elevate the affected area of the body and stay warm.  So, although I think massage and energy work are the great healers of everything.... evidently not for frostbite.

So, I recommend staying inside with a hot cup of tea and a good book!!!  

And, don't forget that our pets can get frostbite too...  Don't leave them outside for more than the time it takes to "take care of business".

Laugh, love and stay warm!!  J.

No comments:

Post a Comment