Friday, January 9, 2009

What's In Your Carpet Bag??

Sara and I were watching Mary Poppins and I began to compare my life with hers...  Not really comparable, but many similarities in thoughts and "being".  Anyway, the scene where Mary Poppins gets the job at the Banks Residence and "accepts" the position of Nanny to Jane and Michael and then goes upstairs to "unpack" and settle into her room brought so many things to my mind...  Like, we all come here with a carpet bag.  It starts out empty and then life tends to fill it up with many things that are well out of our control, but what is in our control is what we choose to pull out of the carpet bag.  Mary chose a hat rack (practical) a plant (beauty) and a mirror (to see her own reflection).  When I am faced with a challenging situation I remind myself that it is my choice as to what I pull out of my carpet bag.  I can choose a "programmed" response (anger, jealousy, revenge, self-pity, etc.) or I can take a deep breath and choose LOVE.  That is the energy that I most often choose, but alas I am human and sometimes lean on those learned responses that have served me in the past, and yet, may not be in my best interest or the best interest of the other party at the time.  So, here's my question today.  We all have a carpet bag and what are you going to choose to pull out??  With love, Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment